2018-2019 Missouri High School Mock Trial Competition Team Registration
Mon, October 1, 2018 to
Tue, November 20, 2018
The Saint Louis Bar Foundation and The Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis Law-Related Education Resource Center and the Missouri High School Mock Trial Competition Committee invite your school to enter the 2018-2019 competition.
Please read thoroughly and complete registration by 5:00 p.m. on Tuesday, November 20, 2018.
The Mock Trial website, www.momocktrial.org, will be the central communication hub in addition to e-mail. Any information teams receive, such as clarifications, rule changes, schedules and scheduling changes, etc., will be posted online and e-mailed to teacher sponsors and attorney-coaches. The program coordinators will make every effort to inform teacher sponsors and attorney-coaches of scheduling changes concerning their team, but to avoid confusion please check the website for updates regularly as the schedule is subject to change up to and including the date of competition.
The case packet will be available for download from the Mock Trial website in mid October 2018. Each team may download and print as many copies as needed. The Law-Related Education Resource Center and the regional coordinators will coordinate all materials and competition events.
Each team must provide its own transportation to the mock trial competition sites. Each team must also have at least one teacher sponsor and at least one attorney-coach. The regional coordinators will assist in locating an attorney-coach if your school does not have one. Please contact your region’s coordinator at the telephone numbers listed on the Mock Trial website to request assistance with obtaining an attorney-coach, or with any other questions, comments, or concerns.
In order to offset the costs of the program, each team competing must pay an application fee. The application fee is $275 per team for St. Louis teams, and $125 per team for Out-State and Kansas City teams. All application fees are non-refundable. Please note, no teams will be allowed to participate without fees paid in full by the start of competition in January.
New School Discount
In an effort to encourage new schools to participate in the program, schools that have never participated or that have not participated in the past 5 years are eligible for a 50% discount on one team registration.
Fee Waiver Program
The Missouri High School Mock Trial Program offers a “Fee Waiver Program” so that schools in districts that otherwise would not be able to afford the entry fees may participate in the program. Schools that desire to take advantage of this program must have 50% or more of the student body qualify for the National School Lunch Program and provide the appropriate documentation. Fee Waiver Applications will be reviewed and granted at the discretion of the Missouri High School Mock Trial Committee based on funding availability.
Deadline & Payment of Fees
Applications will be accepted until 5:00 p.m. on Tuesday, November 20, 2018. No late entries will be permitted.
Payment must be received prior to the first round of competition.
- Each participating team must provide its own transportation to and from the regional, state, and national competition sites. Each team must also provide its own lodging and meals.
- Each team must obtain the services of an attorney-coach to assist in preparation of the team for trial rounds. If a team does not have an attorney-coach then the regional coordinators will use their best efforts to assist in locating an attorney-coach for the team.
- Each team must obtain the support of the principal or other applicable school administrator for application into the program.
- Each team must assume responsibility for clearing trial dates with the principal or other applicable school administrator, and for placing them on the school calendar.
- Each team must submit all questions regarding the mock trial problem and the competition in writing to the State Coordinator.
- Each team must agree that the decisions of the State Coordinator and Mock Trial Competition Committee, whether made before, during, or after the competition are final.
- Each team is responsible for paying all fees before the beginning of the first round of competition or they will not be allowed to participate. The fees are $275 per team for St. Louis teams, and $125 per team for Out-State and Kansas City teams. Fees may be waived by applying under the Fee Waiver Program.
- Each team must agree to use its best efforts to participate in the competition. TEAMS THAT DROP OUT OF THE COMPETITION WILL NOT RECEIVE A REFUND.
A mission of the Missouri High School Mock Trial Competition is to promote an understanding and appreciation of the American judicial system through academic competitions for students. Therefore, these rules will be followed by all team members, timekeepers, coaches, and teachers:
- The illegal use of alcohol, drugs or any other illegal activity is forbidden during the course of the Missouri High School Mock Trial Competition.
- No one associated with the team is allowed to enter any courtroom in which his/her team is not competing (unless all teams from that school are no longer competing in a given year), except for teachers, parents, and coaches who are evaluating a trial at the request of the state or regional coordinator as applicable.
- All attendees must comport themselves with professionalism and decorum at the courthouse, both inside the courtrooms and in common areas. No food, gum, candy, or drink (except bottled water) are allowed in the courtrooms. Attendees must not go to parts of the building that are not designated as part of the Competition.
- It is expected that all attendees will respect their surroundings at the courthouse, including using proper receptacles for trash and leaving restrooms and common areas in good order. It is preferred that attendees not rearrange the furniture in courtrooms; however, if moving of chairs is necessary for the trial then they must be returned to their original position before attendees leave the courtroom. Do not use, move, or adjust any of the computer or audio-visual equipment. Do not disturb any papers that may be left out.
- Team members promise to compete with the highest standards of sportsmanship and will all avoid tactics they know are wrong and in violation of the letter and spirit of the Local Rules.
- Attendees will respect their fellow team members, coaches, teachers, opponents, judges, evaluators, staff, and volunteers. Displays of bad sportsmanship are prohibited.
- The use of laptops or other electronic devices is prohibited, except cell phones may be used by timekeepers or as specifically authorized in the case materials.
All application fees are non-refundable. By registering, each team agrees to use its best efforts to participate in the competition.
Mon, October 1, 2018 to
Tue, November 20, 2018